Thursday, March 6, 2008

Kamakura


Well, today Akemi-san and her friend Junko-san took me to Kamakura - a small town outside of Tokyo that she described as a "mini kyoto" because of its many many ancient temples and shrines and extremely traditional Japanese culture. I must say that it was absolutely wonderful and enchanting. The entire feeling of the place was like I was back in time, not to mention I sincerely enjoyed the pleasant company of Akemi and her friend Junko.
Right: I took this picture for my Mom, this tree was just absolutely amazing looking, the picture doesn't do it justice but my mom would love it!


I was extremely lucky though, as I had the chance to observe a Japanese wedding ceremony - 2 of them in fact - taking place at one of the shrines. Akemi said today is a "good luck" day on the Japanese calender - some days are bad luck, some normal, and some good, today is a good one, so many people may choose to get married today.

Anyways, I also bought an Omikuji kind of a fortune, you pay 100 yen, shake a small barrel, and a stick comes out that determines which fortune you get. Mine was a good one (I've improved, until now I always get so-so or even bad ones - but no fear because if they're not good you just tie them to the tree or to the rope and the bad luck is said to be taken away by the wind - see image below)


I finally have put together another video outlining todays events including a full bit about the wedding that I really really felt moved by, please watch it:


This is also my second last day staying at the Taguchi's house as I'm moving to Gunma from tomorrow night. They have been amazingly wonderful to me and I really hope I can make it up somehow some day! Anyways, I had a really great day today and it was nice to feel enchanted about being in Japan again. The novelty of this trip was slightly rekindled today to say the least. ^.^ Hope you all enjoy the video (see above)

1 comment:

Shaye said...

How beautiful. You are so fortunate that you got to see such a wonderful place and witness a real Japanese wedding, on a lucky day too!!

I wonder what your fortune was... hmmm. :]

<3 Shaye