Friday, May 9, 2008

Earthquake Update

Well, I thought they were over for a while, but I was wrong..
This morning at about 9AM Japan time, there was ANOTHER quake, and this one was not from Mikagi prefecture (the previous two were, and Mikagi is a ways away in the north part of the main island of Honshuu), the quake this morning was centered IN the Kanto area (where Tokyo is and where I live). It wasn't very big, but now there is some evidence from researchers and sensors that, you guessed it, it is related to the previous earthquake as the movement of one tectonic plate inevitably effects the plates around it. Now there is speculation that in the next while we may have another fairly large earthquake because one of the plates offshore from Tokyo appears to have shifted a little due to the previous quakes. No one knows for sure though, all I know is that to spite being semi-excited about being in an earthquake before I came to Japan, now that I've been in a couple (and they weren't even that strong, just average), I REALLY would prefer NOT to have any more of them. I don't trust the integrity of my house either, as it's a bit old (19 years - yes that is considered old here as most modern houses have a shelf life of about 30 years due to the earthquakes they have to endure) and theres now a small crack in part of my wall from the shifting that the ENTIRE HOUSE does when a quake hits.

Phew, sorry to rant, but I have quakes on the mind now.. Anyways, I'm brushing up my disaster plans as I write this - in my head - that's how I can do that and write this at the same time.

Anyways, take care until next time.

3 comments:

thatjoeguy said...

I went through it on vancouver island...kind of freaky eh! just hang on don't get all shook up about it. Head for the bath tub it's a good place to take cover, or get out of the house. Stay cool...

Shaye said...

I am worried about you! I hope everything is okay!! I know about that huge earthquake in China, so close to you!! I hope you're not shaken up too bad. Miss you!

Alyshells said...

Timmy, oh Timmy,
I have so much to tell you.
Timmy, oh Timmy,
Your face has replaced all smiley faces in my mind.
Timmy, oh Timmy,
Tell me how I can talk to you,
Timmy, oh Timmy,
I hope there is enough happy to blow your mind.