Friday, February 22, 2008

Like Bambino...

Well, it has come time for me to leave my little nest in Fukuoka and go to Tokyo..
If you have seen the Japanese TV Drama Bambino (hint hint, Shaye), then this might sound familiar. Truth be told I have not seen much of that show yet (just started watching it).. Anyways, this post is mostly unrelated to that.

Today was my last day at Genki Japanese And Culture School (aka GenkiJACS) in Fukuoka, at least for now. Apparently I've put in 284 hours of study there according to my certificate of completion. But it is hardly a time for me to brag, I really owe so much to everyone that made my experience there so great! They topped it off with a huge farewell party at a local Izakaya (Japanese Pub), and it was fun like our parties always are!

ABOVE: Just a sign from Hakata station. On the way home from today's farewell party I became very nostalgic.


The past three months have really flown by too quickly, and while I am excited to be going back to the Tokyo area, I could not help but shed a couple tears on the way home, walking down the same streets and corridors that I have walked every day for the past 3 months on the way too and from school. I have REALLY come to fall in love with this city of Fukuoka! I really feel that GenkiJACS is more than a language school but also a family. I will write a formal review of the school sometime soon (not right now because it would admittedly be too bias as I'm missing it already having just said goodbye to everyone an hour ago or so).

Anyways, for now I just wanted to say I really had an amazing experience, I've picked up some great study habits and improved my language skills noticeably. I will miss everyone at GenkiJACS very much, and I definitely am planning to return.

So, like Bambino, I will be leaving Fukuoka tommorow to go to the big city of Tokyo, the adventure will continue, but I will never forget this city. It kind of feels like my Japanese hometown of sorts.

I tried to get a snapshot of my friend Peter and his girlfriend, but Chihomi sensei somehow snuck in to the picture aswell, haha.

1 comment:

Shaye said...

Hey Tim, speaking of Bambino, check out my new cooking blog! It's for a class I'm taking and we can only use 100 words per post. Once I'm done with the assignment I plan on keeping the blog up.

http://theheartofcooking.blogspot.com/

It's so funny how you are following in "Bambi's" footsteps! That's so funny! At least you won't have to cook anything. I wish there was a real Baccanale Restaurant. Sigh...

It sounds like you've had a wonderful experience in Hakata/Fukuoka. It's something that you will never forget and carry with you all of your life. Who knows, maybe you will live there permanently one day.

Ganbatte Timo. Good luck on your trip to the big city! <3