Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I survived!

Well, after what had to be the worst plane flight I have ever experienced, followed by a skillful landing by our pilot, fighting against unpresidented and fluxuating gusts of winds, onto a fog-covered, near zero visability runway, the people in ANA flight 254 gave a small standing ovation to the crew of the aircraft.

Anyways, it was quite the experience. Needless to say, I`ve arrived in Tokyo.
I spent the weekend with Miho trying to find an apartment for myself, buy a cell-phone and such. Japan is very strict about apartment rentals and usually requires a Hyoushounin (Co-Signer) if you are a foreigner or if you are not a full time worker.

Also, there are a number of other fees attached renting an apartment from most places. Key-Money is usually an extra month`s rent paid up front on top of the first and last months rent, and this is not refunded it is a present for the landlord. There is also a security deposit which is about 2 months of rent worth, and a cleaning fee of about 10,000 Yen (100 dollars). The security deposit is refunded, the cleaning fee is not. There is also a commission paid to the realtor (you dont rent places here by shopping for houses with for-rent signs. Rentals are only advertised at this large rental agency offices).
Anyways, there is this paper about the whole headache of the process someone already wrote in their blog, but I can`t find it right now, but basically, your $800/Month apartment will cost like $6000 upfront or something ridiculous like this, regardless of if you are a foreigner or not.
So how do people do it? Well, most smaller places (what we would call a bachelor) don`t have some of these fees attached, while some student-housing companies and such have basically no extra fees at all. So, Miho was going to be my co-signer and get this all set-up, but because she is a contract worker, even though she works full time, they could not accept her as a co-signer, and in-fact if she were to rent an apartment herself she would require her mother to co-sign even though she is Japanese.
So yea, it was kind of annoying and as of right now I am not %100 sure where I will live yet but we will figure something out.
In the mean time, Mr. and Mrs. Taguchi have invited me to stay at their place for 2 weeks in Tokyo. They are so generous and kind people. Today Mrs. Taguchi and her friend and I will go out shopping in Shibuya, not that I have a lot of money to spend, but it should be fun anyways I think.
またかくよ・・

2 comments:

Denise said...

Hi Tim,

Wow!!! I am VERY thankful you arrived safely and that you and everyone else are o.k.. It must have been bad if the crew got a standing ovation for getting through it! As for the rental issues... Unbelievable!!!! I can't imagine having to deal with all these added fees. It sounds like exploitation and injustice to me, but then I've never lived in such a densely populated city that has such strict rental policies. The last time I heard, it is illegal in Canada to charge a 'security' fee; let alone all the other fees you outlined! But, not to worry....

Your guardian angels (including Nanny, Grampa and Claude) are already at work arranging to magnetize/provide the best property/price, landlords and circumstances that will more than adequately suit your needs (in every way). So hang in there and TRUST!! In the meantime, enjoy your 2-week stay at your kind friends' place; you are blessed to have them (they may well be angels in disguise!!)
Love to you and Miho,
Aunt Denise

Shaye said...

What a wild ride you had. I am sooo glad you are okay. I've never experienced quite a dangerous flight before, but I know how fearing for your life feels up in the air. Again, I am so happy you are back in Tokyo safe. Thank God for the Taguchi's. They sound like very sweet people. I am sure you and Miho will find something soon. I'll say a prayer about it. I just can't believe the process and the price everyone's got to pay! Ugh. Good luck! :]

Miss you,
Shaye