Monday, September 29, 2008

Video Memory

Well, I had promised a few posts ago that I would start to put up some of the unseen footage I had gotten when I was in Fukuoka. If you read my blog you already know that Fukuoka and my experience at Genki JACS school, aswell as the dorm I lived in there have easily become some of my favorite places in Japan, and I made friends at this dorm (most of whom are in this video) that I'm still in touch with and hope to meet again someday.

So here's the first video I've thrown together, taken around valentines day. Students of both Fukuoka Industrial University who live at the dorm together with students of Genki Japanese and Culture school all celebrated Valnetines day together by playing a chocolate-covered-strawberry blindfold game, enjoy:

3 comments:

Mo0ki3 said...

Hello! I've been reading your blogs and watching your videos over the past few days! I'm saving to study at GenkiJACS too. Thanks for sharing your experiences! They make me want to go to Japan even more now, heha.

Eh, I hope this isn't too out of line. But after being there how much money would you suggest someone to take? I'm not sure at all. It would be really great if you could answer that. If not, then it's cool.

The video looks fun by the way, haha. I'm so excited about going! ^_^

Timothy said...

Easy answer: As much as possible!

But for a place to start, I would say 2000-3000yen (about $20~$30 US/CAN) of spending money PER DAY as an amount to aim for as a minimum. This means on top of any fees and such you'll pay for school, this should cover all the basics like food/transportation, etc. But of course bringing more means you have more fun-time spending money. You may find that some days you'll spend far less than this and other days you'll spend far more, it depends what you're doing.

If you go to GenkiJACS or will be living in the Fukuoka area for that matter and are staying for 4 weeks or more, I REALLY STRONGLY recommend buying a monthly transit pass for whatever line you'll be taking to get to school and back, it will save you a lot of money. In Fukuoka the passes are printed for a particular route/line, so if you take the same subways/train-routes to school and back everyday - for example from Tenjin station to Susenji station - you can get a pass that is good for using the trains between those two stations for what works out to about 60% or so of the cost of buying a ticket both ways for a month every weekday. If you're Japanese is not quite at the right level to buy one of those passes yet, ask one of your dorm-mates/homestay family members to help you.

You'll find the public transportation in Japan to generally be some of the best quality service in the world with subways and trains ready to take you pretty much anywhere you want to go.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
- Tim

Mo0ki3 said...

Thankyou very much for your help! =]