Thursday, January 3, 2008

あけまして おめでとう // Happy New Year

Happy New Year from Japan. More specifically, from the city of Tokyo.. I have come back to Tokyo for 1 week since we enjoy a National holiday this week to observe the coming of the new year. New Years is the most important holiday in Japan by far, it is a time to reflect on the past year and start fresh. While we have spring cleaning in Canada and the US, the Japanese completely clean their homes at New Years in what is called O-souji (great cleaning)..

Anyways, I did not bring the chord needed to transfer the pictures and video from my camera to my PC, so I will be making another post after I return to Fukuoka further outlining my stay in Tokyo.

In the mean time, I thought I would share this with everyone.. Last month Japan's Priminister began posting videos on Youtube in an effort to "reach a younger and more international audience", and has even released an english version video of his new years greeting to the world where he outlines some of the issues the world is facing and promises for Japan to play a leading role in helping to find solutions and calls for harmony amongst all nations and world peace. He rarely smiles, in line with his dour image.

Here is the actual video:

2 comments:

Denise said...

Hey Tim,

I was really enjoying your regular postings! What's up since the New Year? I'd love to hear how things are going and see more of your video's.
Maybe you've fallen in love and have become too preoccupied to keep everyone up to date?? Well, if this is the case (or even if it isn't), hopefully you'll be gently reminded that your family/friends are hoping to hear from you, via your blog. When does your schooling end and what are your plans after that? Keep in touch!
Love you,
Aunt Denise

Shaye said...

The president seems kind of out of touch with the youth. Too bad.

I hope you had a marvelous New Years. I wonder if you have any pictures or video of any fireworks?

I miss hearing from you. I really do. I'm having Tim withdrawals! Siiigh. I guess I will have to wait until your next post.